Attack on Titan
|Adult Swim (Toonami)|
|May 3, 2014 - Jan. 17, 2015|
|25 (List of Episodes)|
|Adult Swim (Toonami)|
|Mar. 28, 2015 - Sep. 26, 2015|
|Adult Swim (Toonami)|
|Apr. 22, 2017 - Oct. 14, 2017|
|12 (List of Episodes)|
Attack on Titan is a Japanese anime series, based on the manga series of the same name written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama. The series, directed by Tetsurō Araki and produced by Wit Studio (a subsidiary of IG Port), aired on MBS between April 6, 2013 and September 28, 2013. Both Funimation and Crunchyroll simulcast the series on their respective websites, and Funimation released the series on DVD and Blu Ray in North American in 2014. A second season of the series premiered in Japan on April 1, 2017.
The series first aired on Adult Swim's Toonami block from May 3, 2014 to January 17, 2015. The series then returned to Toonami for a second run, airing at 3:00 AM, from March 28, 2015 to September 26, 2015. The series is rated TV-14-LV and TV-MA-V on Adult Swim. Season 2 was first announced to be premiering on Toonami during the special April Fools stream of a new episode of Rick and Morty on adultswim.com. Season 2 was first announced with a premiere date of April 29, 2017, but days later it was moved up to April 22nd. On July 29, 2017, reruns of the second season were moved to the 3:00 AM time slot. On October 21, 2017, the series was replaced with Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG.
The story follows Eren Jaeger, his adopted sister Mikasa Ackerman, and their friend Armin Arlert. After the wall which protects Eren's hometown is breached by Titans, including the 60-meter skinless Colossal Titan and the abnormally intelligent Armored Titan, a young Eren suffers the death of his mother at the hands of a Titan. Once Eren and his friends are evacuated from the district to safety, he vows revenge against all Titans and later enlists in the military, accompanied by Mikasa and Armin. After a period of grueling training, the three elect to join the Survey Corps which would allow them to leave the safety of the walls and fight the Titans one-on-one. Following graduation, the three are positioned in District Trost which juts out into the Titan-infested lands of Wall Maria. However, they are surprised by the sudden appearance of the Colossal Titan which breaches the wall as it did to Eren's hometown 5 years prior.
During the ensuing battle with Titans, Eren discovers, by accident, that he possesses the ability to transform into a Titan at will. Though he is seen as a threat to mankind by many, others, including those within the Survey Corps, see Eren's ability as a ray of hope in the fight against the Titans. Eren's strong resolve and his ability to kill other Titans with relative ease earns him a valued position within the Survey Corps, alongside Mikasa and Armin. With the threat of new Titans and a possible end to society, Eren and his companions begin a desperate fight to protect what remains of mankind while unraveling the secrets and mysteries behind the Titans, the walls, and even Eren's own existence.
Eren Jaeger — The protagonist of the series. Idealistic, hotheaded, aggressive, and impulsive, Eren seeks to annihilate the Titans and explore the outside world. As a child, age 9, he killed two of the kidnappers who murdered Mikasa's family and convinced Mikasa to fight and kill the third one while he was being strangled by the latter. He and his father came looking for her after finding her parents' bodies. He was ranked 5th in his trainee class, having no particular talent aside from his excellent close combat skills, but has been slowly but steadily improving his grades through outstanding effort and a strong sense of purpose. Following his mother's death, Eren has a brief encounter with his father who entrusts him with a key to their old house's basement in Shiganshina, claiming that he must reach it by whatever means necessary, but is not informed by him about what really is hidden there.
It is later revealed that Eren possess the strange ability to summon and control the body of a 15 meter class Titan. Eren believes this ability to be the result of injections given to him by his father after the death of his mother, although there are indications that he had those powers way before this point.
Mikasa Ackerman — Adopted child of the Jaeger family. Mikasa is the last known Asian living within the Walls after they were wiped out by the Titans. She is a quiet and withdrawn girl and her expression is always stoic except when Eren is in danger. Before she was adopted by the Jaegers, Mikasa and her mother were targeted by slave traders due to their race. However, after the slavers killed her father, Mikasa's mother lashed out to defend her daughter, resulting in her death. Mikasa was saved by Eren after he found them and killed the slavers. Due to this incident, she is very protective of Eren, and will follow and protect him no matter the circumstances, thinking that Eren is the last family she has and needs to stick with him no matter what. Although as the story progresses, it appears that the family kinship she feels for Eren is much deeper than what she claims. She only joins the military because of Eren. And although not literally thrilled to become a soldier she was ranked first in her graduating class. She is considered an unprecedented genius, a prodigy who excels in the most difficult courses. She is often teased about her attachment to her foster brother.
Armin Arlert — Eren's childhood best friend and Mikasa's closest friend. He is physically frail and relatively intrepid. Though timid and faint, his strategic intuition has saved Eren and Mikasa - and later everyone - several times. He believes himself to be completely incompetent in the beginning and hates himself for having to rely on his friends all the time. While Mikasa always fears for Eren's life, Eren worries for Armin's safety whenever they are in battle. It is also noted that Armin is the only one who manages to connect to and make Eren snap out of the animalistic control of his Titan side when he nearly kills Mikasa and snaps him out of his doubts when Eren cannot shift into his Titan form because of Annie. Armin has sub-par physical aptitude by soldiers' standards but is an alleged genius when it comes to theoretical courses. It is Mikasa who first encourages Armin out of his belief of being incompetent by pointing out that his strategic intuitions have always saved her and Eren in the past and he should have more faith in himself. As the story progresses his confidence blooms and his brilliant planning, tactics and deduction impresses high ranking officers that they respect his opinions considerably.
|Character||English Voice Actor||Japanese Voice Actor|
|Eren Jaeger||Bryce Papenbrook||Yūki Kaji|
|Mikasa Ackerman||Trina Nishimura||Yui Ishikawa|
|Armin Arlert||Josh Grelle||Marina Inoue|
|Levi||Matthew Mercer||Hiroshi Kamiya|
|Jean Kirstein||Mike McFarland||Kishō Taniyama|
|Annie Leonhart||Lauren Landa||Yū Shimamura|
|Connie Springer||Clifford Chapin||Hiro Shimono|
|Sasha Blouse||Ashly Burch||Yū Kobayashi|
|Erwin Smith||J. Michael Tatum||Daisuke Ono|
|Zoe Hange||Jessica Calvello||Romi Park|
|Marco Bott||Austin Tindle||Ryōta Ōsaka|
|Reiner Braun||Robert McCollum||Yoshimasa Hosoya|
|Bertolt Hoover||David Matranga||Tomohisa Hashizume|
|Petra Ral||Caitlin Glass||Natsuki Aikawa|
|Dot Pixis||R Bruce Elliott||Masahiko Tanaka|
|Hannes||David Wald||Keiji Fujiwara|
|Keith Shadis||Patrick Seitz||Tsuguo Mogami|
|Grisha Jaeger||Chris Hury||Hiroshi Tsuchida|
|Carla Jaeger||Jessica Cavanagh||Yoshino Takamori|
|Krista Lenz||Bryn Apprill||Shiori Mikami|
|Ymir||Elizabeth Maxwell||Saki Fujita|
|Thomas Wagner||Duncan Brannan||Shigeyuki Susaki|
|Mina Carolina||Alexis Tipton||Chika Anzai|
|Nack Tias||Will Short||Tomoyuki Higuchi|
|Mylius Zeramuski||Joel McDonald||Kazuhiro Fusegawa|
|Samuel||David Trosko||Kenji Takahashi|
|Franz||James Chandler||Kenta Ōkuma|
|Hannah||Tia Ballard||Megumi Satō|
|Tom||Tyler Walker||Shigeyuki Susaki|
|Daz||Brad Venable||Shūhei Takubo|
|Ian Dietrich||Scott Freeman||Yūya Murakami|
|Gustav||Keith Kubal||Go Shinomiya|
|Anka Rheinberger||Jamie Marchi||Ikumi Hayama|
|Kitz Weilmann||Christopher R. Sabat||Tomoyuki Shimura|
|Rico Brzenska||Morgan Garrett||Michiko Kaiden|
|Moblit Berner||Jerry Jewell||Rintarō Nishi|
|Hugo||Tyson Rinehart||Akio Suyama|
|Mitabi Jarnach||Kyle Hebert||Takanori Hoshino|
|Moses||Jeff Johnson||Takuya Masumoto|
|Moses' Mother||Linda Young||Kyoko Terase|
|Narrator||Josh Grelle||Marina Inoue|
|Eld Jinn||Vic Mignogna||Susumu Chiba|
|Nile Dok||Ian Sinclair||Anri Katsu|
|Lord Wald||Barry Yandell||Kōsuke Takaguchi|
|Mikasa's Father||Jarrod Greene||Daichi Endo|
|Mikasa's Mother||Colleen Clinkenbeard||Yūka Hirose|
|Oruo Bozado||Chris Smith||Shinji Kawada|
|Gunther Schultz||Brett Weaver||Kōzō Mito|
|Sawney||Jonathan C. Osborne||—|
|Dallis Zachary||John Swasey||Hideaki Tezuka|
|Deiter||John Burgmeier||Yoshihito Sasaki|
|Marlo||Todd Haberkorn||Tomokazu Sugita|
|Pastor Nick||Francis Henry||Tomohisa Asō|
|Hitch||Brittney Karbowski||Akeno Watanabe|
|Boris||Micah Solusod||Yūichi Karasuma|
|Jurgen||Justin Cook||Kazuhiro Fusegawa|
|Nanaba||Lydia Mackay||Asami Shimoda|
|Dennis||Andrew T. Chandler||Seirō Ogino|
|Luke Cis||Eric Vale||Masamichi Kitada|
|Mike Zacharius||Jason Douglas||Kenta Miyake|
|Ness||Jonathan Brooks||Kōichi Sakaguchi|
|Darius Baer-Varbrun||Brian Mathis||Akimitsu Takase|
|Petra's Father||Chuck Huber||Masaki Terasoma|
|Annie's Father||Bill Jenkins||Unshō Ishizuka|
|Color||Season||Episodes||Toonami Season Premiere||Toonami Season Finale|
|1||25||May 3, 2014||November 1, 2014|
|2||12||April 22, 2017||July 22, 2017|
Season 1 of Attack on Titan aired from April 6, 2013 to September 28, 2013 on MBS and later aired on Tokyo MX, FBS, TOS, HTB, TVA and BS11. Season 2 began airing in Japan, on the same networks, on April 1, 2017. Both Funimation and Crunchyroll have streamed the series on their respective websites. Funimation also licensed the anime for home video release in 2014. The series first run on Adult Swim's Toonami block was from May 3, 2014 to January 17, 2015. The series also received a second run, airing on the block from March 28, 2015 to September 26, 2015. Season 2 premiered on Toonami on April 22, 2017.
- Japan (MBS) — April 6, 2013 - September 28, 2013; April 1, 2017 - June 17, 2017
- Japan (NHK BS Premium) — January 9, 2016 - April 2016
- United States (Adult Swim) — May 3, 2014 - January 17, 2015; March 28, 2015 - September 26, 2015; April 22, 2017 - October 14, 2017
The following is a list of Toonami marathons in which at least one episode of Attack on Titan appeared.
- Attack on Titan Marathon
- Attack on Titan Season 2 Marathon
- DBZ Kai Marathon (September 2017)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "Attack on Titan is Coming May 3rd at 11:30!!!! ". toonami.tumblr.com. April 12, 2014. http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/82537856899/attack-on-titan-is-coming-may-3rd-at. Retrieved on September 28, 2014.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "SWORD ART ONLINE II IS COMING - SCHEDULE CHANGE 3.28 ". toonami.tumblr.com. March 13, 2015. http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/113527749783/sword-art-online-ii-is-coming-schedule-change. Retrieved on March 13, 2015.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 "Attack On Titan Season 2 is coming to Toonami April 22nd at 12:30am! ". facebook.com/TOONAMI. April 3, 2017. https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/photos/a.1442483259375850.1073741828.1440408039583372/1735073940116779/?type=3&theater. Retrieved on April 3, 2017.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 "Attack on Titan is coming to an end, but Toonami is proud to welcome back Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG! ". facebook.com/TOONAMI. September 28, 2017. https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/photos/a.1442483259375850.1073741828.1440408039583372/1810762462547926/?type=3. Retrieved on October 1, 2017.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 "Funimation Streams Attack on Titan TV Anime ". animenewsnetwork.com. April 12, 2013. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-12/funimation-streams-attack-on-titan-tv-anime. Retrieved on October 2, 2016.
- ↑ "Crunchyroll Also Streams Attack on Titan TV Anime ". animenewsnetwork.com. April 13, 2013. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-13/crunchyroll-also-streams-attack-on-titan-tv-anime. Retrieved on October 2, 2016.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 "Jason DeMarco: Toonami to Air Attack on Titan Season 2 Starting on April 29 ". animenewsnetwork.com. April 2, 2017. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-02/jason-demarco-toonami-to-air-attack-on-titan-season-2-starting-on-april-29/.114243. Retrieved on April 2, 2017.
- ↑ "Time to update your calendars! ". facebook.com/TOONAMI. July 25, 2017. https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/photos/a.1442483259375850.1073741828.1440408039583372/1787160801574759/?type=3&theater. Retrieved on August 3, 2017.
- ↑ "NHK's BS Premium to Air "Attack on Titan" TV Anime from January 2016 ". crunchyroll.com. December 11, 2015. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/12/11/nhks-bs-premium-to-air-attack-on-titan-tv-anime-from-january-2016. Retrieved on October 2, 2016.