December 1, 2012
March 31, 2018
|Parent Company||Turner Broadcasting System|
Asia Pacific Inc.
Toonami Asia is a defunct television channel that launched in Asia on December 1, 2012. It is operated and distributed in Asia by Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific Inc., a Time Warner company. Although the brand carries the same name as the programming block Toonami available elsewhere in the world, the Toonami channel in Asia is available 24 hours a day. Toonami's Asia logo is reminiscent to what is used elsewhere, with many different branded promos.
Turner's Asia MD and Senior VP, Sunny Saha, claims the brand is created "for fans, by fans" and audiences are invited to connect with Toonami via Twitter, Facebook and YouTube where regular video content is shared with an online following.
Toonami Asia's YouTube channel is divided into featured playlists. In January 2013, these playlists included: Justice League Unlimited, Wolverine & The X-Men, Deltora Quest, Ben 10: Alien Force, Generator Rex, Mix Master Final Force and Toonami Teasers (a selection of on-air promos, bumpers and sizzle reels).A number of "teaser" videos were created to raise awareness during the launch period. They were filmed in Hong Kong, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur, and are still available on the Toonami Teasers playlist on YouTube. The majority of the videos are shot in a POV style featuring a mundane situation captured on an amateur video, which then pan out to reveal a spaceship, a robot, a superhero or alien.
To kick off Toonami’s launch in January 2013, fans are invited to play an active part in the channel’s origins which centres on NAMI, an artificial lifeform from the future. For an indefinite entry period, viewers must watch a short video and then submit their own ideas as to how to complete the background to NAMI’s story. Writers are advised to provide a submission through the Toonami website, on what they think the story should be. The winner with the best concept will be produced into an animated clip and a unique comic book.To aid competition entrants, the following information about NAMI was placed on the contest website. "It is the year 2099 and the world is at the brink of destruction as dark forces spread throughout the planet. Led by an evil villain, the age of heroes is at its end. NAMI, an AI capable of interfacing with other machines is the planets last hope of survival. Her mission; alter the timeline and ensure that the future is not lost. Uploading her Central Processing Unit to a time capsule shaped in the form of a sphere, NAMI sets course to travel 86 years in the past – a milestone in the age of heroes."
To further assist, entrants were provided with some question to think about regarding NAMI's backstory:
What happened? Why did the age of heroes end? Who is the villain or dark force and what are his powers? What is his origin e.g. born through peoples’ fears or alien to our planet? What are his goals? Where does NAMI’s adventure begin and who aids her in her quest? How did they meet and how will they ensure the future is not lost? Does the villain enter our timeline and why? Can NAMI live our ordinary life in our time or must she stay a secret?
Toonami kicked off its arrival in Singapore with an event called TOONAMI INCEPTION ’13 on Saturday, February 23, 2013 at *SCAPE. From 1-9 pm, in an all-day, all-play action-packed party, fans were invited to enter a world inhabited by superheroes via illusion art displays and an augmented reality booth. Visitors shot hoops with basketball team, the Singapore Slingers, and got branded with show logos at the Graffiti Zone. There was live hip-hop performances throughout the day, as well as B boys and girls, and music from DJ Adonis and DJ Gravity.TOONAMI INCEPTION '13 then traveled to Manila in the Philippines on March 24, 2013 for a similar event at Eastwood City Central Plaza.
On January 14, 2015 Turner Broadcasting System Asia-Pacific and its broadcasting partner in Thailand, Major Kantana Broadcasting launched a Thai language version of the Toonami channel. In February 2015, Turner and its broadcasting partner in India, Taj Television, launched a Toonami channel in India. In 2016, the channel was announced to be launching in France on February 11th.
In April 2015, an action anime block, titled Anime Siege, was announced to be coming to the network.
On March 12, 2018, Toonami Asia announced on its Twitter page that the channel would be ceasing operations by March 31st.
- The 99
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
- Batman: The Brave And The Bold
- Beast Saga
- Ben 10
- Ben 10: Alien Force
- Ben 10: Ultimate Alien
- Ben 10: Omniverse
- Beware the Batman
- BeyWarriors: Beyraiderz
- BeyWarriors: Cyborg
- Blue Dragon
- Deltora Quest
- Dragon Ball Super
- Dragon Ball Z Kai
- Gaist Crusher
- Generator Rex
- Green Lantern: The Animated Series
- Hot Wheels: Battle Force 5
- Inazuma Eleven
- Inazuma Eleven Go
- Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy
- Iron Man Armored Adventures
- Justice League Unlimited
- Kamen Rider Dragon Knight
- Max Steel
- Megas XLR
- Metal Fight Beyblade
- Metal Fight Beyblade Zero-G
- Mix Master Final Force
- Ninjago: Masters of Spinjutsu
- Samurai Jack
- The Secret Saturdays
- Sonic Boom
- Speed Racer: The Next Generation
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Super Hero Squad
- Superman: The Animated Series
- Sym-Bionic Titan
- Teen Titans
- Thundercats (2011)
- Transformers Prime
- Transformers: Robots in Disguise
- Wolverine and the X-Men
- Xiaolin Chronicles
- Xiaolin Showdown
- Yo-kai Watch
- Young Justice
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1
- The Batman VS Dracula
- Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies
- Dragon Ball: Great Mystical Adventure
- Dragon Ball: The Path to Power
- Dragon Ball: Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
- Dragon Ball GT: A Hero's Legacy
- Dragon Ball Z: Bio-Broly
- Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound
- Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
- Dragon Ball Z: Broly - Second Coming
- Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge
- Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone
- Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn
- Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug
- Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13
- Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might
- Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest
- Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon
- Inazuma Eleven Go Hyperdimensional Dream Match
- Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
- Superman: Unbound
- Superman vs The Elite
- Anime Siege
- Superhero Universe (Toonami India)
Toonami Asia Promos, Bumpers and ID'sEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Toonami Makes Its Debut on Screens Around Asia ". animenewsnetwork.com. November 26, 2012. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2012-11-26/toonami-makes-its-debut-on-screens-around-asia. Retrieved on August 17, 2016.
- ↑ "Toonami Asia shutting down notice ". ToonamiAsia Twitter. March 12, 2018. https://twitter.com/ToonamiAsia/status/973099478201716736. Retrieved on March 12, 2018.
- ↑ "Toonami marches on France ". advanced-television.com. January 27, 2016. http://advanced-television.com/2016/01/27/toonami-marches-on-france/. Retrieved on January 29, 2016.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 "We're taking it back to the old school today at 3:30pm with 1988's Dragon Ball: Great Mystical Adventure. ". facebook.com. July 11, 2016. https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAsia/photos/a.176975415776746.42882.144553425685612/705692789571670/?type=3&theater. Retrieved on August 17, 2016.
- ↑ "Dragon Ball Z movies are on every Sunday this month at 11:45am! ". facebook.com. August 6, 2016. https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAsia/photos/a.176975415776746.42882.144553425685612/717795195028096/?type=3&theater. Retrieved on August 17, 2016.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 "More Broly today! Dragon Ball Z: Broly – The Legendary Super Saiyan is showing at 3:30pm. ". facebook.com. July 24, 2016. https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAsia/photos/a.176975415776746.42882.144553425685612/711596128981336/?type=3&theater. Retrieved on August 17, 2016.
- ↑ "Dragon Ball Z movies are on every Sunday this month at 11:45am! ". facebook.com. August 13, 2016. https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAsia/photos/a.176975415776746.42882.144553425685612/721140891360193/?type=3&theater. Retrieved on August 17, 2016.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 "Dragon Ball Z: Bio-Broly is the follow-up to Broly - Second Coming and the final instalment of the Broly films. ". facebook.com. July 18, 2016. https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAsia/photos/a.176975415776746.42882.144553425685612/708833935924222/?type=3&theater. Retrieved on August 17, 2016.
- ↑ "What a beautiful sunset… ". facebook.com. July 17, 2016. https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAsia/posts/708416499299299. Retrieved on August 17, 2016.
- ↑ "Great news, Dragon Ball fans! We're showing a huge marathon of Dragon Ball and DBZ movies – every weekday in July at 3:30pm! ". facebook.com. June 30, 2016. https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAsia/photos/a.176975415776746.42882.144553425685612/700831870057762/?type=3&theater. Retrieved on August 17, 2016.
- ↑ "For our 3:30pm movie today, we've got Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon ". facebook.com. July 3, 2016. https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAsia/photos/a.176975415776746.42882.144553425685612/702114666596149/?type=3&theater. Retrieved on August 17, 2016.
- ↑ "You're in for a treat today! ". facebook.com. July 30, 2016. https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAsia/photos/a.176975415776746.42882.144553425685612/714364462037836/?type=3&theater. Retrieved on August 17, 2016.